I like that look you get.

There's a look you get and it makes me fall in love with you.

Sometimes, it's the face you make when you're embarrassed. When the rosy hue in your cheeks darkens and your eyes adopt a vulnerable quality that betrays the tender soul you have. When it's clear you feel naked and exposed; when I can see who you really are before you hide behind your sarcasm or wit, your charm or your grace. That's the face I see before I fall asleep and dream of you.

Other times, it's the face you make before you say whatever it is you want to say. When you motion with your hands; clawing, grasping, trying to pull the elusive words from thin air, your speech stuttering because the thought you want to express fills you with so much passion, you don't know how to vocalize it. When you gently bite your lip, your eyes to the sky as you try to articulate the point as best you can. When your inability to make yourself understood helps me read you better than I ever have before. That's the face I find myself drawn to as I guess what it is you want to say, helping you fill the words after the deafening ellipses.

At times it's the face you make when you're trying not to laugh. When your body spasms with the effort to keep your laughter contained, the joy vibrating within you. When your eyes are wide with the effort, tears welling. When your hand flies to your mouth in an attempt to push the laughter back in. When that rarely seen dimple makes an appearance and I find myself wanting to live in it, wanting to live in that expression. When I dream of being the cause of your unadulterated joy. That's the face I try to get you to make time and again; I want to be the cause of that unrestrained joy.

There have been times when it's the face you make when you straightened your tie. When the nerves and discomfort radiated off you in waves; every muscle in your body jarring your every movement; every sharp angle accentuated by your jerky motions. When your eyes darted around the room, watching, planning, worrying; when your mouth was a thin thin line of grim determination. When I knew that you wanted to stand out, wanted to make a lasting impression -- that was the face that determined I would fall for you again.

One time, the last time, it was the face you made when you looked at me. When tenderness and timidity and hope and respect shone like a beacon through your eyes. When your lips quirked to the side and your face relaxed. When your entire being was open. When it seemed as if you were seeing me for the first time again. When I saw my love reflected back, that was the look I loved best.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So Sam Roberts is playing on November 20....

:D