NaNoWriMo

This month is National Novel Writing Month, also known as NaNoWriMo. I've been a member of NaNo for close to five years and have attempted to start writing a novel three times already. Each time I started writing my novel, however, I would give up because the words felt forced and the story wasn't flowing and I was too hung up on how awful everything was coming out. Instead of just letting the words flow through, I was fixating on my shortcomings and, regrettably, gave up a few paragraphs, sometimes sentences in.

This year, Tamara and I decided that we would participate and that we would write a novel by the end of November. In this case, a novel is the equivalent of 50 000 words and, so far, I'm at 36 666. SAY WHAT?!

It's funny, but the story is flowing and the characters have a life of their own; they're behaving in ways I never intended them to and they're doing things that are morally repulsive to me. I love it! But I think the reason why this story is flowing is because:

  1. I'm not fixating on what I want to happen
  2. I'm not sentimentally attached to the story (unlike my previous attempts)
  3. I'm starting most of my days writing with a free writing session wherein I write everything and anything that comes to mind
It's funny and overly sentimental of me, but the fact that I might be achieving this feat calls to mind the fact that, back in January, Nicole, Tasha, and I got together to make vision boards. On my vision board, I put down the fact I wanted to take many trips (to date I've gone to Orlando, Vancouver, St. Louis/Chicago, New York, and Germany next month); that I wanted to read, read, read (and I've read 14 books this year alone in comparison to the meagre 12 I read last year! WOOT!); that I wanted to strengthen my friendships (my datebook has been full since January!); that I wanted to write a novel in November; and that I planned to meet a handsome guy. 

So, I've already accomplished so many of the things I wanted to fulfill. Really, the only thing that's left is meeting someone I would like to date, but the fact I'm writing this novel? That alone is enough to make the year 2015 the most incredible and memorable one to date!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So Sam Roberts is playing on November 20....

:D