Independent Summer

It's weird thinking that I will be completely alone this summer. No family, no friends; just me.

I am a little bird... flapping her wings to FLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!! Haha! I know I'm a geek, but I'm so stoked for my Independent Summer.

I've wanted to experience independence since I was seventeen. I know what I'm about to relate is counter-argumentative, but during every single career day in high school, I would avoid the job fair and universities at all costs. 'Who needed education when you had passion for life?' I thought. Apparently my friends didn't agree.

Chantal was the first of my friends to embrace her future when she applied at the UofA. I did nothing. Then Janis applied. I did nothing. Then my art teacher, Mr. Matsuba, told us all during art class about Student A and Student B. Student A applied to college, got a part-time job, earned his degree, got a real job and is now a big boy. Student B, however, took a year off after high school, he travelled the world, had the time of his life.... fast-forward four years later: he's working a part-time job, has no real motivation and never did get his degree. 

Needless to say, these two stories had an impact on me.

I started researching where I could learn Portuguese part-time. I had a plan: I would move to Rio and basically just take some time off. Mama and Papa G did not agree. 

My dad forced me to apply at Grant MacEwan to enter their Professional Writing program (I've always loved writing and journalism had always piqued my interest). 'Who wants to go to college right after high school???' I thought, to which he answered 'it's not a question of you wanting to, it's a question of you having to.'

In the end, I'm glad that I went to college right after I graduated high school. I didn't take the time off or rush out of something that has benefitted me. It's going to be so unbelievable to live on my own... well, kind of on my own. I'll have a roommate or two... but in the end, it's going to be such an incredible experience!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So Sam Roberts is playing on November 20....

:D