Your love is like a leaky faucet.

The plumber came by yesterday and fixed the leaky faucet in my bathroom. I used to lie awake in bed, listening to the drip -- drip -- drip. I obsessed over it. Knew its rhythm. Allowed it to lull me to sleep every night.

The faucet wasn't always broken; it took months for it to break. I could see that it was weakening over time, yes, but it broke all at once one day and, really, there was nothing I could do to fix it. It was a nuisance. Constant, unavoidable, and a pain. It was audible; it kept me up. How could I sleep when there was a constant noise not even one room away?

I tried to ignore it most nights, cranked up the music as I read, or put in a movie to drown out the drip -- drip -- drip. Nothing worked; it always made it through somehow and it always kept me up. It became part of my routine, this noise. I anticipated hearing it at night, needed it to go to sleep. I started worrying that if I were to get it fixed, sleep would be impossible for me. I resisted for months, hell-bent on preserving it.

Tonight is the first night it will not lull me to sleep.

Tonight is the first night I cannot hear it through the wall.

Tonight I will rely on nothing but counting sheep.

And now that it's gone, I feel relieved and satisfied. I know with certainty that sleep won't be impossible; I know with certainty that the leaky faucet's absence won't hinder my existence; I know I will adjust.

The plumber finally fixed that leaky faucet. There's a calm without the drip.

I feel calm.

Comments

Unknown said…
I've never thought of leaky faucets in that way before. To be honest, every drip in my home never had a chance to linger long enough for me to feel that way about them. I can never seem to fall asleep when the sound of dripping echoes in my ear. Anyway, I'm glad that you decided to get it fixed, and you no longer rely on the sound to fall asleep. I hope that's the last of the leaky faucets that would ever trouble you again!

Wilson Horton @ Capital Care Plumbing

Popular posts from this blog

So Sam Roberts is playing on November 20....

:D