Vancouver: Where the men are hot (and immature) and the weather is perfect (and rainy)

I decided to visit Mel in Vancouver this past weekend.

We met at a bar (the Black Frog) where I met her friends Tona and Mac. We didn't stay at the Black Frog (whomp-whomp) 'cause we had to head out to a grad show at this very awesome venue a few blocks away.

Mellie so smelly. 
I really dug the decor there: cartoony monkeys and humans hanging off the walls and from the ceiling; plushy couches and high bar stools; accent lights and twinkle lights. It was beautiful inside! It seemed like a very fit venue for such a diverse and creative bunch. Animators are artists who, I feel, grew up wishing that they lived in the world of Who Framed Roger Rabbit, where humans and zany cartoons coexisted. Animators are hilarious and friendly and weirdly shy and very enthusiastic about the media (magazines, television shows, movies) they consume. Animators are, for lack of a better word, interesting.

After the grad show, Tona went with us back to Mel's place, where we sat and chatted in-between a (very long) game of pool.

Long-Leg Lou and Short-Leg Sue?
He was a sympathetic listener (I think because of his two sisters and two female cousins) and, to be quite frank, it was so easy to confide in him about my past romantic foibles. I found in him someone who genuinely wanted my friendship and cared whether or not I liked him as a person. I found in him a kindred spirit. I found in him someone who wants to make Mel happy and wants to share Mel's life.

He's a good egg.

The next day, after I met Mel's good friend Ashley and her boyfriend at the BEST brunch place, The Templeton, with Dani,  I bought some sweet red shades. Sweet, energetic, and hopeful Dani, told us about the Andy Warhol exhibit at Yaletown. We walked her to the bank, where I learned I'm taller than five feet (!!! SAY WHAT !!!) and then met up with Tona, who is a giant.

Tona walked with Mel and me and we found ourselves at the park, where we lazed about in the sun and I got to know this lovely friend of Mel's.


When we met with Dani, we walked over to the exhibit and the four of us posed with the iconic prints.




Cuties.
Later that night, we met up with Tasha, her mom, and her best friend (Michelle) and her husband (Rick). The food at Bao Bei was spectacular, but ugh... the service... *shakes fist*. We kind of wondered to ourselves why they were taking to long when Rick motioned to the table next to us and whispered, "That's Bono." I mean... BONO WAS THERE. At Bao Bei! Confused, I looked around and spotted him at the next table, surrounded by attractive women (the way you would assume a huge rock star like him would be).

Squint your eyes really tight and you might see him!
I was bummed when we took Tasha's picture, though: The restaurant owner asked us to stop taking pictures. Guess Bono isn't a fan of people having fun. 

I went with Mel to a hair appointment the next day and her stylist convinced me I should get yellow and green ombre. Time will tell if I'll do it in the end, but isn't that hair divine? 

We met up with Tona, his cousin Ari, and Dani and we all went to the most amazing Afghan restaurant, The Afghan Horsemen. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the food, the atmosphere, and the service was perfect; it was. I was angry when I felt too full to finish my food and resented the fact that the water I drank took up space in my stomach. They cater to vegetarians, vegans, and meat-eaters alike and I know that everyone who sat with me was as impressed with the food as I was. 

Seriously. I cannot stress enough how delicious the food was.

All in all this was a perfect trip: I saw Mel; I met Mel's people; I ate delicious food; I saw beautiful (and interesting!) things. Hope I can go back to Vancouver in the summer next time! And I'm not even joking when I say that the men in Vancouver are hot: The native Vancouverite men are all hipster and short(ish) and a handful of them skate! I almost didn't get on the flight back to Edmonton, lest I met one I wanted for keepsies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So Sam Roberts is playing on November 20....

:D