V Fest Doesn't Compare to Osheaga. End of story.

My sister is amazingly kind. She is quickly turning into my favourite concert buddy (but don't tell Fabs, Luls, Nicole or Char that I'm cheating on them!) Can you blame me, though?! She ALWAYS buys me a concert tee... Ain't she purdy??

Anyway, we went to Calgary for VFest. Yeah... it TOTALLY doesn't compare to the awesomeness of Osheaga. Thing is, VFest is practically hosted in my city. Cowtown is def more manageable than Montreal. Crap city, I know, but it's better than no music festival.

We decided to go because a) PEARL JAM was headlining and b) my sister's favourite band (Billy Talent) was playing on Sunday. As is always the case, I loved their drummer... Matt Cameron.


What is it with me and drummers? I was spellbound by *him*. He drummed for SOUNDGARDEN for fuck's sake...! SOUNDGARDEN!


Anyway, they played like the Legends they are (duh) and I don't regret driving to Calgary to see them perform. Though, the vibe was way different than that of other music festivals I have been to, and I have to be honest and say that I found the crowd a bit rude and unpleasant. Osheaga's crowd was happy and excited and RESPECTFUL, while this crowd was surly, obnoxious and rude. Also, I preferred Osheaga in that it had other things to see and explore (art tents, CD vendor tents, music vending tents, etc). VFest had no art tents, no CD vending tents and while it did sell artisan jewellery, I was not impressed by the lack of other sights. You gotta have something to do in between sets!


Click on the above image to go to their site. They're busy-bees. And quite the marketing geniuses, I might add. Having formed in October '07, they delayed their first performance for FIVE months to build up media hype... obviously this worked for them.

Click on the above image to hear some of their stuff! They're amazing. I kid you not. And, they're British... and their drummer is cute... and their sound is very much like the 80's awesomeness my sisters listened to... and did I mention that they're British?!?!

And finally, click on this image to listen to Death. I'm partial to Lose My Life, personally, but it's still a wicked song. Especially now with John Hughes' death, 80's music is somehow fitting. *shrugs*

Tokyo Police Club are adorable! So Canadian and quirky. My sis adored their keyboardist. That's one thing I love about musicians: they all have a signature move/facial expression. For instance, this keyboardist had the tendency to drum every beat with his finger. It was cute. Kind of like he was articulating every beat or syllable.


In any case, I'm not a huge Tokyo Police Club fan, but I'm more inclined to check them out in future!

Then there was Metric. SIGH.

 
I know Krystina doesn't think much of Emily Haines, but she was FUN!

I was elated to see them, again and who knows? Maybe I will make a surprise decision and buy tickets for Sonic Boom...

Finally, after many hours of waiting patiently, my sister's band was set to come out. I hate to say this, but we only stayed for one hour. We had to drive back to Edmonton and I know it sucked, but like I told Pily, Billy Talent will be back in town.

I guess tickets to Sonic Boom are therefore necessary, huh?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So Sam Roberts is playing on November 20....

:D