Do you ever think back on your educational experience and remember that ONE teacher who believed in you and genuinely thought you were going to achieve so much when you grew up? And do you ever want to find that teacher and thank them because it's their kind words that you think back on whenever you're feeling unsure and under-appreciated and genuinely terrified that your life is going nowhere?

Right now I'm feeling like I should look for Mme. Dallaire and thank her for every kind word she said to me. I want to thank her for every parent-teacher meeting, every good grade. Because she's the first person who told me I could write. Sure, Mme. Vincent and Mlle. Jacques loved publishing my stories in the FLG newsletters; sure, Mme. Paula and M. Marc pushed me to join the advanced English classes; sure, Mme. O'Brien often let me write my own assignments because the ones she gave us were never all that challenging for me; and, sure, M. Dvorak loved hearing my crazy analyses on the novels we read in class.

But Mme. Dallaire didn't just think I was a good writer. She didn't just think I had the right skills to write. She believed in me. Believed in my writing. Believed I could and would go somewhere with that skill. And it's when I think back on her kind words that I feel I should write my novel or send that pitch. Usually I find my confidence lacking, but I am filled with confidence when I think back on my time with her.

Why is it easier to believe that you have what it takes when someone else says you do?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So Sam Roberts is playing on November 20....

:D