2014: The year of plot progression and action

If my life were a novel and 2013 was the year of my character development, then logic dictates that 2014 has to be a year of action and plot progression, right? That's if my life were a novel, which it is not.

Regardless, to ensure that I maximize my potential in 2014, I've already decided I'm going to break my bad habit of talking down to myself. Like I was telling Janis a few days ago, I am getting better at being more caring towards myself, but I still struggle with my initial reaction after I do something unsavoury. I am getting better at it, though; I rectify my choice of words and correct my language. So, when I say, "That was dumb", I now take a pause and say, "No, that was not an ideal reaction, but at least I was honest."

Further, I decided a few months back that I was going to learn how to drum this year. So, for my birthday on March 4th, I'm going to gift myself with some lessons. I took vocal lessons in my teens and really enjoyed that, but I'm undecided if I'll take those up again. Either way, learning to drum has been on my to-do list for years, so I figure it's time I do something about that.

I've also decided that I'm going to follow more of Janis' lead; she has always been a source of inspiration to me because she's honest (to the point of being blunt sometimes), protective of those she loves, and works hard on her relationships. Who wouldn't want to emulate that? I really admire Janis; she's a source of light and comfort for me and I know I could stand to learn a lot from her, particularly in the area of relationships and honesty. I do put in the effort to maintain my relationships, but it's not like Janis. Janis creates a routine with her friends. Janis communicates, even when the truth hurts. I need to do more of that, especially with those people I want to maintain my relationships with.

Trip-wise, I'm already planning on going on two major trips: Montreal/NYC with my friends, and Guatemala by myself. Originally I'd wanted to take three trips this year, but I really need to save some time off at work, so I'm taking only two. The Montreal trip with my friends will be a really great time, I think, and I'm still undecided on whether or not I'll be returning from that one. You just never know. I might fall back in love with the city and decide to stay.

(Kidding.)

Reading-wise, I'm going to read all of the unread books on my shelf this year. Yep. I'm a'gonna do it. That's only nine books, so I figure I'll be okay. I'm also going to bake more. Like, at least once a month. And I'm going to keep up my "letter writing" with Mel this year, too.

Finally, I'm going to do better at tempering my expectations. I try not to expect things, especially from other people, but whenever I feel especially optimistic about new situations, I forego my carefree attitude and end up expecting too much. Optimism is never a bad thing, but it turns into one whenever you expect too much from someone else.

Expectations can lead to a lot of heartache, so I really need to temper them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So Sam Roberts is playing on November 20....

:D