Jay Malinowski & The Deadcoast

So after a long search for someone to go to concerts with, my friend Lucina is officially my concert buddy. This is the same girl that I would see every time Nix and I would go to a show. She and her sister Fabiana are as music obsessed as we were back in the day and it's nice to know that Lucina is still trying to keep going to shows, despite the fact her sister moved away to Toronto this past year.

Last night Lucina and I met at The Artery to support Bedouin Soundclash's front man's new project: Jay Malinowski and the Deadcoast. I got there earlier than we'd agreed (social anxiety makes me overly punctual) and I settled in, ruminating over the fact that the majority of Edmonton's population are hipsters in flannel and beanie hats. Or, at least that's what the audience last night would have you believe.

The Artery is a fairly small venue and I'd been there previously for my friend Sean's band's CD release party last February. It had been packed that February evening, but last night it was on another level. The floor, the seats, the staircase, and even the main entryway were packed. I was happy to see such a generous turnout for Jay! He's a great performer and his new music is worthy of the love. Everything about his performance was sincere; he was gracious; he radiated warmth.

I've seen Jay play several times before with other band mates; it was interesting to see his chemistry with other individuals. He had great banter with The Dears' Patrick Krief and seemed in constant awe of The End Tree's Aiden Brant Briscall, Elliot Vaughan, and Martin Reisle. He was different as a performer; something was more earnest about the introductions he made before every song. Maybe it was the subject matter, or it could have been that he's grown from the last time I saw him live. Whatever the reason, the side I saw of Jay last night was wonderful. I feel more in awe of him than I ever have before. I want to listen to his music all day long. I fell back into obsession with live music. 

I've always felt that seeing someone perform live is an intimate experience; I've always felt that performers willingly share a piece of their heart, a chunk of their soul when they share their talent with you. Last night was a quintessential example of my hypothesis. I definitely recommend listening to The Deadcoast. This was my favourite of the songs they played last night, but rest assured that I was riveted the whole time they played.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So Sam Roberts is playing on November 20....

:D