March Fo(u)rth. March On.

I didn't think I would celebrate my birthday this year. I thought March 4th would be a quiet day; no work, all sleep, some reading, a lot of vegging.

I am happy to say that my expectations were 100% off.

Originally, I thought I was meeting with Nicole, Rylan, and Char and her new guy for drinks after 7:00. That was the plan. Nicole would pick me up on her way home and we'd meet Char's new boo. So she picks me up and we meet with Rylan and all the while Nix is freaking out because we're late, but I keep reminding her that it will all be okay. That Char knew she had a late meeting. It never occurred to me that she was freaking out because of me.

So we find parking and the three of us walk into the Pour House on Whyte and, lo and behold: My friends are all there!

Jenn, Dave, Dustin, Wyatt, Janis, Tasha, and my dearest Char. When I turned around, Nix was smiling and it never once crossed my mind that my friends would go to all that trouble of throwing me a birthday party. It never once entered into my conscious thought that my friends wanted to make this birthday special for me. But they did. And the whole time we sat there, I was overcome with so much love for all of them.

And, to add to the awesome, just as we were getting our food, a gentleman came up to me and said, "Is it your birthday today?"

"Uh, yeah. It is!" I tried to smile, but I was a little confused about why he was asking.

"Well, today's my birthday."

"Happy birthday! I haven't met many March 4th people..."

"March 4th. And listen, I want you to have a nice birthday and I just bought your whole table a round."

"Oh my gosh. That's so nice!"

"Happy birthday. Enjoy."

"Thank you so much!"

Whoever he is, I wish he had joined us for a drink at the very least. He did such a wonderfully thoughtful, selfless thing for a random stranger. It's not as though I'll ever forget this birthday -- the year my friends all joined together to surprise me in the best way -- but his act of kindness has cemented this birthday as the most unforgettable.

I hope his life is full of joy and I hope someone else made his birthday that more special for him this year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So Sam Roberts is playing on November 20....

:D