I'm actually blogging about One Direction. Colour me surprised.

So the world's biggest boy band just lost one of its members: the very talented and hyper-handsome Zayn Malik (his voice is like buttah and I believe his face was sculpted by GOD), and all I can say is I hope people aren't being unkind to their many fans.

I am not personally saddened by the news that they're one member short now, but I do empathize with their fans. After all, I remember the pain I keenly felt when Pat Pengelly left Bedouin Soundclash back in 2009. It was awful. I mean, most people know what it's like to have their favourite band split up or have a member leave a group. You go through a mourning period; you know the person isn't dead and you know you'll always have the previously recorded music to enjoy, but knowing they're no longer a part of that facet of your life is incomprehensible. Most recently, Death Cab for Cutie lost Chris Walla and it was very disappointing. Not Pat Pengelly leaving Bedouin Soundclash disappointing, but still sad.

I have never been big on One Direction (my fixation and adulation for boy bands ended when 'N Sync split up back in 2002), but I know the huge impact they've had globally and, I have to be honest, these boys aren't as problematic as you would think they are. They're kind to their fans, they're socially conscious (in certain aspects), and they're super sweet. They're about as far from problematic as any young celebrities can be.

The truth is, this particular band member left because it was the best decision for him. In the statement he released, he said he's doing what's right in his heart. And according to his uncle's twitter, he was feeling very stressed and depressed. The decision to leave the band was made today, which means him leaving likely happened because his mental health is at stake. And, really, whatever the reason for his departure, if it's what's best for him, he needed to do it.

But the truth is, this all sucks for One Direction's fans. Hell, it sucks for the band, too. But, in the end, it doesn't really matter. People (in general) should always do what's best for them, regardless of the consequences. No one else on the planet is going to be as kind to you as you are to yourself and I think Zayn's decision to do right by him is something we should all emulate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So Sam Roberts is playing on November 20....

:D