Say "Yes" to YESS!

So I was at the Volunteer orientation at Edmonton's Youth Emergency Shelter Society (YESS) tonight. It was so inspiring to see all of their new and current volunteers come together. The room was super-packed!

I am pretty stoked to be volunteering. I used to do a lot of it back in my high school days, but since I started college, I've always had two jobs so a volunteer position just wouldn't be a good idea... This is the first year that I only have one job, so volunteering seemed like the best thing to do with my spare time.

You're probably wondering why I'm writing this, and the reason is simple: YESS is a society that every Edmontonian should back up. We have all seen YESS' clients: young teens, sitting by themselves in the summertime (and even in our harsh winters) along Whyte Ave or Downtown. This to me is not right. These kids have their whole lives ahead of them and are at their most vulnerable state. I mean, did you have perfect self-esteem during your teen years? The staff at YESS do everything they can to rectify this unfair condition and to get these kids on their feet.

I've already put myself down for two events in March and am hoping for a more steady volunteer position in the future. They're currently looking for volunteers (*hint hint*) and I must say it seems like a great place to volunteer. You get to help people in need, meet other people who share your interests and their coordinator is very organised, upbeat and fun. If you're interested, please go to this site.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So Sam Roberts is playing on November 20....

:D