I don't understand why the online community celebrates insecurity?

Like, there's this movement that's been building since last summer where the more awkward and self-effacing you are, the more accepted you are by the majority. But I don't understand why people have to be self-effacing and prove how awkward they are to be accepted; I don't understand why we're encouraging one another to stay in our shells and avoid confronting our demons; I don't understand why we're settling for not going outside of our comfort zones.

Insecure girls are not the smart ones. Being afraid and over-cautious does not make me smart. It does not make me a unicorn. What it does is prevent me from fulfilling my full potential and embracing all that I am. It prevents me from leading a fulfilling life.

Insecure girls are not the ones who get the job or the boy or the friends. They're the ones who miss out. They're the ones who would rather slink into the shadows and hide, than prove to themselves that they're worthy.

And I know that I'm being harsh right now. I know that some of these people genuinely do feel alone and lost and confused. But I'm tired of hiding in that refuge; I'm tired of finding my solace online; I'm tired of finding my path by relying on complete strangers; I'm tired of not realizing my full potential.

Insecurity is not "in vogue". Or at least it shouldn't be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So Sam Roberts is playing on November 20....

:D