Bob Marley was wrong. When music hits, you can feel pain. (And a plethora of other emotions.)

I don't know what it is about Elvis, but whenever I'm having a particularly fantastic day, I'll play his music non-stop. Maybe it's the energy in his singing; it could be his pizzazz. Whatever it is, on days when I feel especially great, his music adds to that good feeling.

Almost the exact opposite can be said about Death Cab for Cutie. Their music, while great in my opinion, usually reduces me to tears. I'm talking about their Plans album in particular. There's something inherently tragic about the tracks in that CD and I know I've listened to it on days I feel particularly sad and in need of a good cry.

Now, when I'm in the mood for romance, nothing beats jazz music. When all I want to do is think about love and "happily ever after", jazz music puts me in a romantic frame of mind. From Nat King Cole and Tony Bennett, to Ella Fitzgerald and Billie Holiday, I can't help but swoon when I hear them croon.

On days when I'm feeling restless and in need of an emotional pick-me-up, Bob Marley does the trick. From feelings of restlessness and desperation, to those times when I need a reminder that "every little thing is going to be all right", Bob's music is a gentle reminder. His music puts things in perspective for me; it's eternal optimism in musical form.

It's amazing to me how music can immediately alter my mood. The link between music and happier memories (or music and sad memories) is the cause, I think. Apart from certain smells, nothing takes me back, in a figurative sense, than certain melodies. The nostalgia I feel when I listen to a particularly happy song never fails to put a smile on my face. And this link between songs and memories is why I listen to music I used to listen to as a kid. It's why I still love Disney music and why I listen to classical music those days when I need to feel inspired. Music triggers my memories. Music feeds my mood. It's no wonder I rely on it so much.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So Sam Roberts is playing on November 20....

:D