My oldest sister is officially in her 40s. This fact is making me feel old somehow...





I love both my sisters; each of them has inspired me in such different ways and I treasure the time I spend with them both. And while my relationship with each of them is unique, I know that the relationship I have with Cristiane is special. We were always friends. When I was 18 months old, she went to visit my aunt Amparo for a few months in Mexico. When she came back, my parents say I rested my head on her shoulder, started to cry, and said her name ("Ki") over and over. When I was 13 and suffering through my first broken heart, she was the first one to take me to the kids' bookstore on Whyte Ave (Greenwoods' Small World), so that I could get my mind off my unrequited crush. And even on those rare occasions that my parents left her in charge of Pily and me, she was my friend first, my guardian second. And I think that's created a very special bond between us. A bond that's only gotten stronger with age.

Cristiane has always been my hero. She's intelligent and kind-hearted. She's passionate and articulate. She speaks her mind always, even when she feels intimidated or afraid. I remember her doing everything in her power to make me happy. She's always been one of my biggest fans and her moving to the US was one of the most trying periods in my life. Now that we're older, our bond has only deepened; I love her so much, and every day I wish that she and her family lived here in Canada. It's a wish I'll never stop wishing.

I hope this year is the best ever for her. And I hope that our bond continues to grow. I hope that she's happy and safe. I hope that she continues to make a difference. But most of all, I hope I'm as amazing a mom as she is to her two kids. 

Feliz cumple, Cripis. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So Sam Roberts is playing on November 20....

:D